What is Bystander Intervention?
If you are a bystander or witness to a potentially harmful situation, consider the following steps toward taking action.
- Notice the event along a continuum of actions
- Consider whether the situation demands your action
- Decide if you have a responsibility to act
- Choose what form of assistance to use
- Understand how to implement the choice safely
(Adapted from Darley and Latane, 1968)
Always consider your own personal safety. Determine if there are other sources of assistance to call, whether on or off-campus.
Be a true friend. If someone's behavior is or has the potential to result in harm, speak up and share your concerns.