COLL095 AACHIEVE! Career/Workplace Skills
Department of Learning Resources: College Success Strategies
- I. Course Number and Title
- COLL095 AACHIEVE! Career/Workplace Skills
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Restricted to students enrolled in the AACHIEVE! program
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Entry into this course is restricted to students who are enrolled in the AACHIEVE! Program at Bucks County Community College.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and registered with The Accessibility Office explore possible career outcomes. Students connect the programming to personal interests and discover how career planning and skill development affect their lives. Students focus on independence and self-understanding, and career and academic planning strategies.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate an understanding of how to apply social skills, self-advocacy and independence in the workforce setting;
- demonstrate an understanding of methods of inquiry, research and problem solving in the area of academics for career planning; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of ASD and the personal learning differences of each student for career development and planning.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Understanding the individual skills sets, talents and interests of the student
- General career planning and preparation
- The interview process, internship exploration and work exposure
- Alternate career planning and opportunities
- Neurodiversity and how it fits into the workplace for each individual
- Professional settings and communication in the workplace
- Managing stress and coping mechanisms for multiple settings
- Developing general social skills in the workplace and how to work collaboratively
- Professional development and growth
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.