Many courses require a prerequisite course or placement test score(s) before registration is permitted. For example, PSYC181/Developmental Psychology carries a prerequisite of PSYC110/Introduction to Psychology first. Another example is BIOL115/Basic Human Anatomy, which requires placement test scores as prerequisites.
Often times, transfer or guest students have fulfilled the prerequisite requirement at another college or university. In such cases, students are instructed to send a copy of that institution's transcript and to notify Bucks County Community College's Registrar's Office of the course in which they plan to enroll. Subsequently, we review that transcript for the course which will satisfy the prerequisite. It is important to note that a grade of C or better in the prerequisite course is necessary. Also, unofficial transcripts are acceptable for purposes of the waiver.
Obtaining a Prerequisite Waiver
The following outlines how to obtain a prerequisite waiver:
- The online application contains a field whereby you indicate the Bucks course you wish to take, such as PSYC181. This information is posted to your student record, so that when your transcript is received, it is reviewed for evidence of a course equivalent to our PSYC110, the prerequisite for the course in which you plan to enroll, PSYC181.
- If you did not indicate your waiver request on the application or determine that you need additional waivers, you can request it in one of two ways:
- Electronic login
- By email from your BUCKS email address or the email address of your CURRENT INSTITUTION to email@example.com. Include ALL of the information below, and attach your unofficial college transcript, or we may not be able to process your waiver
1) STUDENT NAME
2) BUCKS STUDENT NUMBER - or - YOUR BIRTHDAY and the LAST FOUR DIGITS of your SOCIAL SECURITY #
3) THE BUCKS COURSE IN WHICH YOU PLAN TO ENROLL: ex. PSYC181
4) THE NAME OF THE COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY WHERE YOU COMPLETED OR ARE TAKING THE PREREQUISITE COURSE
NOTE: Students who are international students (in F-1 status) at another institution who wish to enroll in a summer course at Bucks, should follow the above format, but also include a copy of your current I-20. If you do not have a social security number, please apply for admission using the form found here. (There is no deadline for summer guest applicants).
- If your transcript contains the equivalent course, which you passed with a C or better, the waiver is assigned to your student record. While you cannot view this waiver, it will allow registration for the desired course.
- If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite course, and it does not show as "in progress" on the transcript you are sending, please also send a copy of your current schedule which will illustrate your enrollment in that course. At the completion of the semester, you are asked to send a copy of the transcript with the grade posted (an unofficial copy is acceptable).
- Every effort is made to process waivers on the same day of receipt, but please allow 2 business days during the high volume months of April and May. Those students registering during are advised to bring a copy of their transcripts for waiver purposes to registration.
- If you are a GUEST student, enrolling in SUMMER or INTERSESSION classes, and your course does NOT carry a prerequisite, you do NOT need to supply a copy of your transcript.
- If you are transferring to Bucks with the intent to earn a degree or certificate, an official transcript and evaluation request is required. Transcripts received for Guest students will not be evaluated for transfer credit, only for a prerequisite waiver.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you enjoy your Bucks courses!