The Arts Department: Woodworking
- I. Course Number and Title
- VAFW140 Cabinetmaking
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- VAFW100 or
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Safe shop practices are emphasized. In addition to class studio time, students work five (5) hours outside of class each week in the woodshop area under the supervision of a lab assistant or at home.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This studio course focuses on the design, construction, and joinery requirements necessary in cabinet construction when using sheet goods for both free-standing and built-in applications. Students work with a variety of materials, including plywood and composite boards.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- design, draw, and construct cabinets using the appropriate materials, including plywood and composite boards;
- demonstrate the proper maintenance and safe use of selected hand and power tools;
- demonstrate an understanding of the types of joinery used to build cabinets;
- design both free-standing and built-in cabinets; and
- analyze projects through critiques, oral presentations, and discussions.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- study cabinet construction and materials
- design and draw cabinets using appropriate joinery
- select the appropriate materials for the designed cabinet construction
- lay out panel construction
- build cabinet using selected hand and power equipment, while demonstrating safe shop practices
- study and apply door and hinging methods
- make and apply moldings to cabinet
- study finishes and apply to cabinet
- apply appropriate vocabulary for self-evaluation and self-criticism
- demonstrate safe shop practices
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- Course learning goals are assessed with group critiques of all projects, based on successful design, execution, and completion of assigned woodworking projects.
- At least two individual critiques with instructor are held to assess projects using the above criteria and to review students' overall progress.
- Instructor evaluation of tool and shop safety practices through observation and quizzes.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus. Slides, video, and/or digital technology are incorporated.
Review/Approval Date - 6/09; Revised 4/2012; New Core 8/2015