Department of Health Sciences
Founders 112 • Phone (215) 968-8353 (Option 3)
Curriculum Code No. 3203
The Health Coach Certificate Program prepares students to work in the health coaching field by providing students with the essential skills of a health and wellness coach. It prepares students who are currently employed and need to enhance their skills, as well as those seeking employment in the health and wellness coaching area.
The program is designed to provide students with a fundamental knowledge base of the following: health and wellness scope of practice, code of ethics, skills to facilitate client behavior change, basics of health and nutrition, design of effective coaching programs, and tools to becoming a health coach entrepreneur.
Bucks County Community College - Health Coach Certificate is an Approved Health and Wellness Coach Training & Education Program by the National Board for Health and Wellness Coaching (NBHWC). Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for the HWC Certifying Examination to become National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC).
Graduates of this certificate are able to:
- Perform within legal and ethical boundaries for health and wellness coaches;
- Demonstrate effective communication and collaborative skills as related to health coaching;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic tools necessary for becoming a health coach entrepreneur;
- Apply health and wellness coaching motivational interviewing principles to facilitate behavior change; and
- Find, evaluate, and discuss scholarly health science articles published in peer-reviewed literature to nutrition and exercise recommendations.
Certificate Course Requirements*
|COLL101 College Success Seminar||
|COMM105 Interpersonal Communication||
|HLTH103 Life and Health||3|
|HLTH120C Nutrition (with a Certified Health Coach) A,B||3|
|HLTH120N Nutrition (with a Registered Dietician) A,B,C||3|
|HLTH250 Introduction to Health Coaching B||3|
|HLTH251 HLTH251 Applied Health Coaching B||2|
|MGMT155 Introduction to Entrepreneurship||3|
|PSYC100 Psychology of Personal Awareness||3|
|PSYC110 Introduction to Psychology A,B||3|
|Total Credit Hours||24|
A Placement testing required.
B Course requires prerequisite.
C HLTH120N sections are taught by registered dietitians as required by the PA State Board of Nursing.
D Choose one of the following electives: HLTH121, HLTH130, or COMP110