Bucks County Community College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all members of the campus community. Our Shelter-in-Place Protocols are an important component of the college's overall campus safety strategy.
Shelter-in-place will be declared in the event of a significant environmental hazard such as widespread chemical or radioactive contamination or a major weather emergency like a tornado. During such an event, Bucks students, employees and visitors should proceed to the nearest Shelter-in-Place location and follow instructions from college and/or public safety officials. S.I.P. location information is posted throughout the campus and college officials will assist you in finding the nearest S.I.P.location. Should an event occur which requires the College to activate S.I.P., the following procedures will take place:
- An e2Campus alert message will be issued announcing Shelter-In-Place (to sign up for e2Campus alerts, visit www.bucks.edu/e2 or text the word BUCKS to 79516). In addition, college officials will signal the S.I.P activation via air horn, whistle or loud speaker in and around college buildings.
- College officials will begin directing people to the nearest S.I.P. location.
- Once S.I.P. has been signaled, you have only one of two options from which to choose: Shelter-in- Place or evacuate campus. No other alternatives are available to you. S.I.P is voluntary and you cannot be forced to do so; however, should you choose not to shelter in place, you must evacuate the campus immediately.
- Once you are at the S.I.P. location, you will be provided with information regarding the nature of the event, and given further instructions by college officials who serve as leaders at specified S.I.P. locations.
- An S.I.P. incident will only be ended when an "all clear" is provided by public safety or college officials.
- Remaining in your S.I.P. location is voluntary; however, keep in mind that attempting to leave may compromise your safety and the safety of those who are sheltering with you. Depending on the severity of the event, you may have no other option but to remain in your S.I.P location.
*(H/C) Denotes handicap accessible*
Hallway outside Room 113A or basement 006
Library / Gateway
Zlock Center (H/C) or Library 302
Gallagher Rm (H/C) or Photo Lab
Rooms 140, 141 (H/C) , or 239
Rooms 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 259, 232 (H/C)
Rooms 010, 011
Basement (access from room 112)
Physical Plant Barn
2nd Floor kitchen
Early Learning Center/Portables
Founders 140, 141 (H/C) , or 239
utilize Tyler Hall, Grupp Hall or Library locations
Upper Bucks Campus South
152 & 154 (H/C)
Upper Bucks Campus North
Lower Bucks Campus
Rooms 104, 105 (H/C) or 204 205
For everyone's safety, cooperation during a S.I.P. incident and adherence to these protocols is required as well as greatly appreciated. Should you have any questions regarding Shelter-in-Place or any other safety matter, please contact Dennis McCauley at (215) 968-8911 or by email: Dennis.McCauley@bucks.edu.