VAFW280 Cooperative Education - Fine Woodworking
The Arts Department: Woodworking
- I. Course Number and Title
- VAFW280 Cooperative Education - Fine Woodworking
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Fine Woodworking major, 30 BCCC credits, a GPA of 2.5 earned in courses offered by the Arts Department
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students work for 200 hours for a paid position or 100 hours for a non-profit organization. Students, in cooperation with a faculty member, arrange the internship.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- On-the-job experience occurs in a field directly related to the student's academic preparation and career objectives. Periodic meetings between the College Coordinator and the student are held to evaluate the student's performance.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- apply on-the-job experience with design and construction methods related to business; and
- demonstrate an understanding of the woodworking field from the perspective of a specialized business.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- seek, apply to and work for an organization or business that specializes in wood products or processes
- apply skills leaned in the classroom
- improve technical and business skills
- make a final written report about the experience at the conclusion of the semester
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsEvaluation of the student's success is derived from an objective assessment of his/her on-the-job performance. The faculty supervisor, internship supervisor, and the employer evaluation are used to grade the student's performance. Information provided by the student's daily journal and final paper will also assist in evaluating the student's performance.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus. Students use magazines, books, newspapers, and library resources coupled with material they create while participating in their job experience.
Review/Approval Date - 2/05; Revised 6/09; Revised 4/2012; New Core 8/2015