VAFW145 Conceptual Furniture
The Arts Department: Woodworking
- I. Course Number and Title
- VAFW145 Conceptual Furniture
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- VAFW100 (C or better) or VAFA102 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Safe shop practices are emphasized. Students work five (5) hours outside of class each week in the woodshop area under the supervision of a lab assistant or at home.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course focuses on designing and creating conceptually-based furniture. Students create functional furniture through the process of exploring ideas, construction methods, and finishes.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- design conceptually-based experimental furniture forms;
- demonstrate an understanding of the basic functional and structural requirements for furniture;
- build the furniture; and
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- demonstrate and explore concepts through basic construction techniques
- design and build scale models of idea-based furniture
- experiment with a variety of finishing techniques
- build a piece of furniture from their selected model and finish sample
- demonstrate safe shop practices
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- Course learning goals are assessed with group critiques of all projects, based upon successful design, execution, and completion of assigned woodworking projects.
- At least two individual critiques with instructor are held to assess projects using the above criteria and to review students' overall progress.
- Instructor evaluation of tool and shop safety practices through observation and quizzes.
- Projects are assessed through critiques, oral presentations, and discussions.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus. Instructor selected reference text. Slides, video, and/or digital technology are incorporated.
Review/Approval Date - 2/05; Revised 6/09; Revised 4/2012; New Core 8/2015;Revised 5/20