VAFA202 Figure Drawing
The Arts Department: Drawing: Second Year
- I. Course Number and Title
- VAFA202 Figure Drawing
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- VAFA103 (C or better) or Permission of the Arts Department
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- In addition to class studio time, students work five (5) hours outside of class each week. Nude models are used in class.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students integrate and review the drawing experiences of the previous drawing classes. The figure is expressed within complex situations dealing with spatial concepts and composition through extended problems. These exercises encompass relationships to interior spaces, landscape, and still life situations.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- examine the representation of the figure in determined situational environments;
- develop a body of completed extended drawing;
- practice a number of working methods;
- plan, complete, and present work on time in a neat and precise manner;
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- explore the placement of the figure in understandable situations with possible narrative implications
- practice developing a finished drawing from a series of analytical studies exploring variations on a theme
- indicate the relationship of the figure to architectural spaces, landscape environments, and still life situations
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- Course learning goals are assessed via group critiques of all projects based on the successful design, execution, and completion of assigned projects.
- At least two individual critiques with the instructor are held each semester, to assess projects using the above criteria and to review students' overall progress.
- Students' portfolios are assessed for aesthetic quality and progress.
- Projects are assessed through critiques, oral presentations, and discussions.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Slides, video, and digital technology are incorporated by instructor. See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 12/04; Revised 6/09; Revised 4/2012; New Core 8/2015;Revised 5/20