MUSC129 Digital Recording Technology
The Arts Department: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSC129 Digital Recording Technology
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students must provide media for back-up and headphones for use in the audio computer lab.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- In this studio course students utilize a hands-on approach in applying principles and techniques of studio configuration, microphone placement, digital recording, digital signal processing, editing digital audio, and mixing.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate an academic understanding of the theoretical principles inherent in digital recording processes;
- prepare projects, which demonstrate each component of the digital recording process; and
- critique projects, which demonstrate each component of the digital recording process.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Fundamentals of digital sound
- Hardware and software set-up and configuration
- Types of microphones and their placement in the recording environment
- Instrument-specific digital recording applications
- Editing digital audio
- Application of digital signal processing
- Mixing digital audio
- Preparing media for distribution
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsTopic-specific written examinations; individual, instructor, and group critiques of projects and their presentation with respect to microphone placement, recording applications, editing, application of digital signal processing, mixing, and final preparation of media for distribution.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:
- Departmentally-selected text book
- Online resources
- Listening examples
- See course syllabus
Review/Approval Date - 1/09; New Core 8/2015