MKTG230 Social Media Marketing
Department of Business and Innovation: Marketing
- I. Course Number and Title
- MKTG230 Social Media Marketing
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course explores social media marketing principles and best practices for using social media for business, reputation management, and online community building. Students analyze current social networking sites, learning how to use social media to create meaningful relationships with customers, clients, and colleagues. The relevant legal/ethical ramifications are studied.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- Describe the evolution of social media marketing and identify related legal and ethical issues related to businesses use;
- Explain how to develop effective social media marketing strategies;
- Analyze the major social media marketing sites that can be used to promote a company, brand, product, or person; and
- Develop a social media marketing plan and demonstrate how to track progress in achieving goals with a variety of measurement tools, services, and metrics.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
The following topics are presented:
- Introduction to marketing using social media
- Developing social media marketing goals and strategies
- Identifying appropriate target audiences
- Legal and ethical considerations for social media marketing
- Social media platforms and social networking sites
- Writing for social media
- Developing marketing content for social media
- Mobile marketing for social media
- Monitoring social media marketing
- Tools for measuring social media marketing impact
- Developing a social media marketing plan
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of Course Learning Goals is based on projects, essays, and performance-based tasks, as specified by the area faculty and described in the individual instructor's course syllabus.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Text(s) as selected by the full-time Management/Marketing Area faculty. Students use educational resources as specified in the individual instructor's syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 6/29/2017