MEDA280 Medical Administrative Specialist Externship
Department of Health Sciences: Medical Assisting
- I. Course Number and Title
- MEDA280 Medical Administrative Specialist Externship
- II. Number of Credits
- 4 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- 9000 Clinical
- IV. Prerequisites
- Completion of all courses in the Medical Administrative Specialist Program with a grade of C or better and permission of the Department of Health Sciences.
- V. Other Pertinent Information
Students must meet with the Clinical Coordinator, Health Sciences. Site placement could be based on CGPA. Prior to externship placement, students must submit:
- A "Request for Criminal Record Check"
- Child Abuse Clearance Form
- Certification of Health Status
- Certification in CPR: Health Care Provider
- Verification of Liability Insurance
- Application for BCCC Student I.D. Badge
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- The course prepares students to work in a medical office assisting physicians and office personnel by performing assigned administrative duties. The work experience is supported by knowledge and skills gained in pre-requisite courses, site liaison feedback, and externship instructor site visits.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- perform varied administrative duties including scheduling and canceling patient appointments, completing health insurance forms, recording charges, filing, transcription and coding, and
- communicate effectively and respectfully with patients, families, and members of the health care team.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesPrevious learned competencies in COMM105, HITT297, MEDA120, MEDA140, MEDA205, MEDA215, and MEDA216 are performed while working in a medical facility assisting physicians and office personnel.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals is based on site liaison evaluations and feedback, instructor observations, and written assignments.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 5/2020