MDLB225 MLT Seminar
Department of Health Sciences: Medical Laboratory
- I. Course Number and Title
- MDLB225 MLT Seminar
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- MDLB201 (C or better), MDLB205 (C or better), MLDB210 (C or better), MDLB215 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Proctored testing may be required
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students participate in a comprehensive review to plan for the National Certification Examination. They develop and deliver a case study, write resumes, attend mock interviews in order to demonstrate competency as an entry-level Medical Laboratory Technician.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate entry-level competency in the major areas of the clinical laboratory;
- design and deliver interpretation of a case study including laboratory data;
- correlate laboratory test results with normal and disease processes;
- prepare to take the National Certification Examination; and
- design a resume and demonstrate effective interviewing skills.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Comprehensive Reviews of:
- Normal and Disease Processes with Associated Laboratory Data
- Quality Control Procedures in the Laboratory
- Urinalysis and Body Fluids
- Clinical Chemistry
- Case History Research and Presentation
- Resume Writing and Practice with Mock Interviews
- Test-Taking Preparation for ASCP National Examination
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents satisfy the course learning goals via class discussions, written exams, assignments, and performance-based tasks.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Approval date- 6/2018