HITT298 Advanced Procedural Coding
Department of Health Sciences: Health Information Technology
- I. Course Number and Title
- HITT298 Advanced Procedural Coding
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- HITT297 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This advanced course covers Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), International Classification of Diseases (current ICD curriculum), Health Care Procedural Coding Systems (HCPCS), modifier applications, evaluation and management services, and coding issues for specific body systems.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- Apply procedural coding guidelines to clinical situations involving varied diagnoses;
- Apply the HCPCS Levels I, II, and III coding system;
- Apply correct modifiers in the HCPCS Levels I, II, and III coding system; and
- Explain the coding initiative for current ICD official Procedural Codebook.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- sequencing -- principle diagnosis and procedure determination and secondary/additional diagnosis and procedures determination
- principles for outpatient and inpatient coding
- HCPCS Levels I, II and III
- strengthening the understanding of relevant medical terminology
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals will be based on classroom discussions, written exams, assignments, papers, and/or performance-based tasks and projects.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 10/04; Revised 12/2009; Course Number Revised 6/2011; New Core 8/2015; Revised: 1/3/2022