EDUC206 Fieldwork: Observation and Assessment in Education II- PreK-4
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Education
- I. Course Number and Title
- EDUC206 Fieldwork: Observation and Assessment in Education II- PreK-4
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- EDUC105 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
This course includes a minimum forty hours of field experience. Pennsylvania Department of Education Clearances required.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students spend four hours each week in an early childhood or K-4th grade classroom. Students observe, develop, and apply classroom skills. Areas of focus include teacher language, community building and classroom management, assessment, and teacher and student behavior and interactions. Students complete a minimum of forty hours field experience.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- understand and demonstrate the qualities of an early childhood professional;
- engage in supportive working relationships with colleagues and demonstrate appropriate interactions with children;
- demonstrate an understanding of professional and ethical behavior as an early childhood professional in the classroom; and
- practice the skills of observation and reflection on classroom experience.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Professionalism in the field setting: observation and reflection
- Teacher language
- Classroom environment, classroom management, building community
- Observing teaching approaches
- Observing student learning and behavior
- Ethics and advocacy
- Personal theory of teaching
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals is based on participation in classroom discussions, performance-based assessment on teaching techniques in the field, written exams, assignments, and papers.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Departmentally-selected textbook. See course syllabus.
Approval/Revision Date: 6/2010; New Core 8/2015; Revised 7/2017