DXMS220 Clinical Experience in Sonography III
Department of Health Sciences: Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- I. Course Number and Title
- DXMS220 Clinical Experience in Sonography III
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- 360 clinical hours
- IV. Prerequisites
- DXMS211 (C or better) and DXMS212 (C or better) and DXMS215 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course provides 24 hours per week of clinical education experience. The student demonstrates their knowledge in ethical situations, legal issues, patient care situations, obtaining and evaluating sonography images at an advanced level. The student performs a complete diagnostic ultrasound exam independently.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- evaluate the patient and record clinical history with effective communication skills;
- demonstrate use of ultrasound equipment in the clinical setting to differentiate between normal and abnormal pathology;
- demonstrate proper patient care skills, interpersonal skills and use of time; and
- demonstrate required sonographic procedure competencies in a professional manner.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Clinical practice
- Code of ethics/professional behavior
- Professional communication
- Role of healthcare team members
- Procedural performance
- Order/requisition evaluation
- Facilities set-up
- Patient assessment
- Patient/personnel protection
- American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers required competencies for this rotation.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudent assessment consists of bi-weekly evaluations, semester evaluation and ultrasound competency grades for the semester.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 5/2020