DXMS215 Clinical Experience in Sonography II
Department of Health Sciences: Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- I. Course Number and Title
- DXMS215 Clinical Experience in Sonography II
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- 360 clinical hours
- IV. Prerequisites
- DXMS200 (C or better) and DXMS201 (C or better) and DXMS202 (C or better) and DXMS210 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course provides 24 hours per week of clinical education experience. In the clinical setting, the student demonstrates their knowledge in ethical situations, legal issues, patient care situations, independently obtaining and evaluating sonography images when competency has been achieved at an intermediate level.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate use of ultrasound equipment in the clinical setting to differentiate between normal and abnormal pathology;
- apply the skills acquired in lecture and lab to perform scans in the clinical setting;
- demonstrate proper patient care skills, interpersonal skills and use of time; and
- demonstrate required sonographic procedure competencies in a professional manner.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Clinical practice
- code of ethics/professional behavior
- professional communication
- role of healthcare team members
- Procedural performance
- order/requisition evaluation
- facilities set-up
- patient assessment
- patient/personnel protection
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudent assessment consists of bi-weekly evaluations, semester evaluation and ultrasound competency grades for the semester.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 5/2020