DXMS202 Sonography of Superficial Parts and Vascular Structures with Lab
Department of Health Sciences: Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- I. Course Number and Title
- DXMS202 Sonography of Superficial Parts and Vascular Structures with Lab
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- 1500 lecture, 1500 lab
- IV. Prerequisites
- DXMS100 (C or better) and DXMS101 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- The course involves the application and use of ultrasound in the imaging of superficial and vascular structures. The course provides the student with an understanding of Doppler and color ultrasound in the diagnostic evaluation of vascular disease. Discussions include instrumentation and hemodynamics for vascular sonograms.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- identify physiology and pathology of the thyroid, breast, scrotum and musculoskeletal areas;
- recognize vascular anatomy and physiology;
- demonstrate competency in the collection of a clinical history; and
- demonstrate appropriate ultrasound protocols in lab.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Fluid dynamics
- Peripheral venous (upper/lower extremity)
- Peripheral arterial (upper/lower extremity)
- Grafts, stents, mapping
- Operate ultrasound equipment properly as it pertains to each particular body part.
- Demonstrate proper body positioning for the particular body part.
- Produce images according to ultrasound protocols for superficial parts and vascular scans
- Demonstrate time management skills while performing scans.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudent assessment consist of electronically administered exams, multi-media projects, lab assessment and participation in online discussions.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 5/2020