CULN138 Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
Department of Business, Innovation, and Legal Studies: Culinary Arts
- I. Course Number and Title
- CULN138 Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
- II. Number of Credits
- 2 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
This kitchen laboratory course focuses on developing the knowledge and skills required for the profitable production and presentation of ice cream, sorbet and frozen desserts, garnishes and sauces. These skills may be utilized by the hospitality worker/manager who desires to upgrade or broaden their knowledge. At the same time, the nature of this course lends itself to satisfying the needs of students who wish to take the course for self-fulfillment and an advanced knowledge of frozen desserts, along with sauces and garnishes that may be used in presenting them.
Lab fees apply.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course covers the preparation and presentation of frozen desserts. Students learn the principles and techniques necessary for the production of ice cream, gelato, sorbet, frozen mousses and souffles, and appropriate sauces and garnishes.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- identify and employ safe and sanitary methods of handling foods, and handle equipment safely and efficiently in the kitchen lab;
- list and execute the steps involved in creating various types of ice cream, sorbet, and other frozen desserts, and follow those steps to produce desserts acceptable for public consumption;
- explain the roles of various ingredients and their effects on the finished product;
- compare and contrast the characteristics, quality standards and production methods for different types of frozen desserts; and
- Select and produce appropriate garnishes and sauces for service with various frozen desserts.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Safety and sanitation in the professional kitchen
- Ingredients, production methods, and quality standards for custard style and Philadelphia style Ice creams
- Ingredients, production methods, and quality standards for gelato
- Ingredients, production methods, and quality standards for sorbet and sherbet
- Ingredients, production methods, and quality standards for still-frozen desserts
- Presentation of frozen desserts, including garnishes and sauces
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsQuizzes, tests, projects, writing assignments, and performance-based tasks.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:
- See course syllabus for required textbook
- Kitchen uniform required for culinary students. Appropriate clothing, including hat and non-slip shoes required for all others.
Review/Approval Date - 3/2020