VAFW138 Table Systems
The Arts Department: Woodworking
- I. Course Number and Title
- VAFW138 Table Systems
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- VAFW100 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Safe shop practices are emphasized. Students work five (5) hours outside of class each week in the woodshop area under the supervision of a lab assistant or at home.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This studio course focuses on table design and construction. Students study classical and contemporary shapes and employ construction techniques. Students explore the relationship of structural issues and design.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate an understanding of a variety of table construction techniques;
- design a functional table with an innovative mindset;
- utilize problem-solving in order to employ historical and contemporary solutions to table design; and
- build a structurally sound table.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- create sample table joinery
- design a table that is structural and functional while incorporating the student's voice
- collaborate with a group in the design process
- build a mock-up
- construct a table
- demonstrate safe shop practices
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- Course learning goals are assessed with group critiques of all projects, based upon successful design, execution, and completion of assigned woodworking projects.
- At least two individual critiques with instructor are held to assess projects using the above criteria and to review students' overall progress.
- Instructor evaluation of tool and shop safety practices through observation and quizzes.
- Projects are assessed through critiques, oral presentations, and discussions.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus. Instructor selected reference text. Slides, video, and/or digital technology are incorporated.
Review/Approval Date - 2/05; Revised 6/09; Revised 4/2012; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/2019;Revised 5/20