VAFA148 Glassblowing II
The Arts Department: Glassblowing and Stained Glass
- I. Course Number and Title
- VAFA148 Glassblowing II
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- VAFA147 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Lab attendance is assigned and is mandatory. Students need to purchase a blowpipe. There is a material supply cost for this course. Safe shop practices are emphasized.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course advances the processes and concepts in the forming of molten glass through the use of various tools and equipment. Students in this class are expected to have basic knowledge of studio operation and glassblowing techniques.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate a mastery of the manipulation of hot glass employing technical skills acquired in the prerequisite course;
- utilize a team concept in the glassblowing process;
- demonstrate an understanding of specific interpretations in hot glass; and
- analyze projects through critiques, oral presentations, and discussions.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- safety discussions
- glassblowing methods for creating different shapes
- inverted cone
- glassblowing methods for creating different combination piece or stemware
- color techniques
- color overlays, shards
- drawing with rods, threads, dots
- lip wraps and optic molds
- account of personal development, perceptions, and record of lab sessions
- demonstrate safe shop practices
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- Course learning goals are assessed with group critiques of all assignments, based on the successful design, execution, and completion of specific projects, and on the appropriate use of tools and shop safety practices.
- At least two individual critiques with the instructor are held each semester, to assess projects using the above criteria and to review students’ overall progress.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Slides, video, and digital technology are incorporated by instructor.
Review/Approval Date - 12/04; Revised6/09; Revised 4/2012; New Core 8/2015