MUSL110 Performance Class
Department of Arts and Communication: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSL110 Performance Class
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Permission of the Arts Department and current enrollment in Program of Study (1019) - Music or
- Concurrent registration in one of the following private lesson courses: MUSL100, MUSL111, MUSL112, MUSL211, or MUSL212
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students of the same applied instrument perform solo repertoire from their lessons and develop critical listening skills by evaluating the performances of their peers.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- perform selected solo repertoire competently in a classroom setting;
- develop critical listening skills; and
- articulate accurate evaluations of peer performances.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- performance of solo repertoire from lessons
- critical listening of student performances of solo repertoire with attention to criteria, such as accurate pitch, rhythm, dynamics, phrasing, technical considerations, stylistic integrity, and related topics as applicable
- discussion of performance assessment methodologies
- critical evaluations of solo performances of peers
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe instructor assesses students according to the following criteria: competent performance of selected solo repertoire before a peer audience, successful participation as peer evaluators in a group setting as directed by the instructor in critical listening tasks.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date: 11/2010; New Core 8/2015