MUSL101 Secondary Lessons
Department of Arts and Communication: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSL101 Secondary Lessons
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Audition, Departmental Placement Exam, Enrollment in Music Transfer major (curriculum code: 1019) and permission of the Arts Department
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students meet with an instructor for a weekly 25-minute lesson. There is a music lesson fee for this course. Secondary lessons by definition are lessons in an instrument other than the one studied in MUSL111, MUSL112, MUSL211, and MUSL212. This course is repeatable once.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- MUSL101 is private applied instruction at the Secondary Lesson level. Students develop technical competency, learn representative musical repertoire, and advance performance skills in their secondary area of emphasis.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- perform musical repertoire competently in a solo environment on an instrument other than their primary one.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- perform assigned repertoire and technical exercises
- apply instructor's recommendations to improve performance of assigned repertoire
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents are evaluated on a weekly basis with respect to development of technique and musicality. Students must successfully perform selected repertoire and technical studies before an instructor at the final lesson.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus for individually-selected musical repertoire and technical studies.
Review/Approval Date - 1/96; Updated 2/06; Revised 3/2010; New Core 8/2015