MUSL100 Preparatory Lessons
Department of Arts and Communication: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSL100 Preparatory Lessons
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Audition, Departmental Placement Exam, Enrollment in Music Transfer Major (curriculum code: 1019) and permission of the Arts Department
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students meet with an instructor for a weekly 25-minute lesson. There is a music lesson fee for this course. In order to advance to MUSL111 (Primary Lesson 1), students must successfully pass a mandatory jury exam before a Music faculty panel at the conclusion of the semester. Upon recommendation of the instructor, this course is repeatable once in the same applied area.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- MUSL100 is private applied instruction at the Preparatory Lesson level. Students develop technical competency, learn representative musical repertoire, and advance performance skills in their chosen area of emphasis.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- perform preparatory-level musical repertoire competently in a solo environment on their primary instrument.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- perform assigned repertoire and technical exercises
- apply instructor's recommendations to improve performance of assigned repertoire
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents must successfully perform and pass a mandatory jury exam before a Music faculty panel at the conclusion of the semester. The jury exam will serve as the sole determinant of whether a student is sufficiently qualified to advance to the MUSL111, Primary 1.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus for individually-selected musical repertoire and technical studies.
Approval/revision date - 3/2010; New Core 8/2015