MUSG165 Group Instruction in Piano Level I (Formerly MUSA165)
The Arts Department: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSG165 Group Instruction in Piano Level I (Formerly MUSA165)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students must currently be enrolled as a Music Major (curriculum code 1019). Students must have access to an acoustic piano or digital keyboard with weighted action for practice purposes. Students are responsible for supplying their own headphones for use in this lab-based course. Practice facilities with appropriate instruments are available at the college.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course offers group instruction in piano and introduces fundamental concepts of music reading. Students practice proper fingering and hand position in the contexts of sight-reading, performance of elementary repertoire, and execution of scales and simple chord progressions.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- read basic music notation;
- perform basic sight-reading tasks using proper fingering and hand position;
- perform elementary repertoire usng proper fingering and hand position; and
- execute major scales and simple major chord progressions using proper fingering and hand position.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- introduction to proper hand position
- introduction of fundamental concepts of music reading
- execution of major scales and chord progressions with proper fingering
- performance of simple sight-reading exercises
- performance of assigned repertoire
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents are assessed on the basis of active participation and the demonstration of proper hand position and fingering in the contexts of the execution of major scales, simple chord progressions, sight-reading tasks, and performance of assigned repertoire.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Individually-selected musical repertoire and technical studies. See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 1/96; Revised 3/2010; New Core 8/2015