MUSE201 Madrigal Singers
The Arts Department: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSE201 Madrigal Singers
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students must participate in all concerts and performances, including those held off campus. Total rehearsal time for this course is 150 minutes per week.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Madrigal Singers is a select vocal ensemble that specializes in the performance of advanced repertoire representing diverse historical, cultural, and stylistic backgrounds and genres.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- perform advanced musical repertoire competently in a choral ensemble environment; and
- individually articulate an independent melodic line in a choral ensemble environment.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- perform appropriate vocal warm-up exercises (vocalizes) at the beginning of rehearsals
- practice appropriate musical responses to conducting gestures
- examine critically advanced musical repertoire that is to be performed
- prepare, rehearse, and subsequently properly perform advanced musical repertoire with attention to accurate pitch, rhythm, dynamics, and stylistic considerations
- prepare, rehearse, and subsequently properly perform advanced musical repertoire with attention to individual articulation of independent melodic lines
- apply stylistically accurate phrasing, balance, blend, articulation, vocal techniques, proper diction, etc., in the preparation, rehearsal, and performance of advanced musical repertoire
- perform advanced musical repertoire in the venue of one or more public concerts
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe conductor continually assesses course-specific content via standard rehearsal techniques in preparation of advanced musical repertoire for public performance. Successful student performance in the required public concert(s) is the musical equivalent of a final comprehensive examination.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:The College provides musical scores at no charge to students. See course syllabus.
Approved/Revised 10/2010; New Core 8/2015