MUSE101 Concert Choir (formerly MUSA101)
Department of Arts and Communication: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSE101 Concert Choir (formerly MUSA101)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Audition Required
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students are expected to practice their parts at home. Total rehearsal time for this course is 150 minutes/ week.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Concert Choir is a mixed vocal ensemble that prepares stylistically diverse musical repertoire for one or more public performances each semester. It is open to all students.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
Students will be able to:
- perform appropriate selected musical repertoire competently in a choral ensemble environment.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- perform appropriate vocal warm-up exercises (vocalizes) at the beginning of rehearsals
- practice appropriate musical responses to conducting gestures
- examine critically all musical repertoire that is to be performed
- prepare, rehearse, and subsequently perform all musical repertoire with attention to accurate pitch, rhythm, dynamics, and stylistic considerations
- apply stylistically accurate phrasing, balance, blend, articulation, vocal techniques, proper diction, etc., in the preparation, rehearsal, and performance of all musical repertoire
- perform selected musical repertoire in the venue of one or more public concerts
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsCourse-specific content will be assessed continually by the conductor via standard rehearsal techniques, as the assigned musical repertoire is prepared to a mastery level compatible with public performance. Mandatory student performance in the culminating concert(s) is the musical equivalent of a final comprehensive examination and shall be weighted as such in all instructor-generated grading schemes. (See course syllabus.)
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Musical scores for all repertoire under study will be provided at no additional charge to students.
Review/Approval Date - 4/08; New Core 8/2015