LAWS180 Business Organizations: Paralegal
Department of Business and Innovation: Paralegal/Law
- I. Course Number and Title
- LAWS180 Business Organizations: Paralegal
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- LAWS100 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- This course utilizes a learning management space to supplement course materials.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course provides an overview of corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships in businesses. Students also learn the court procedures and tax implications associated with sole proprietorships, corporations or partnerships.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning GoalsStudents will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of a business under a sole proprietorship;
- Use and apply understanding of the different types of business organizations to assist attorneys in the preparation of various business agreements;
- Understand and discuss the tax implications of corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships;
- Identify and explain the function and operation of the Courts in the context of the various types of business organizations; and
- Analyze the tax implications as they apply to corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesThe following topics are presented:
- The Uniformed Partnership Act
- Sole proprietorships in business
- Court Procedures in the context of business organizations
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsExams, quizzes, classroom exercises, class or online participation, and/or projects as specified by the area faculty and described in the individual instructor's course syllabus are utilized.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 9/02; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/2015