HIST101 History of Bucks County
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: History
- I. Course Number and Title
- HIST101 History of Bucks County
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students examine the history of Bucks County from colonial times to the present.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- Recount the history of Bucks County;
- Analyze over three centuries of the experience of the County's people, from wilderness to suburbia;
- Explain the uniqueness of Bucks County and how it fits into the broad picture of American History; and
- Describe the importance of local history to historical understanding.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Bucks County in the Seventeenth Century
- Bucks County in the Eighteenth Century
- Just Before and During the American Revolution
- The Early Federal Period -- The Constitutional Era
- The first half of the Nineteenth Century
- The Civil War and After -- An Age of Transformation
- The Twentieth Century -- An Age of Industrialization, Urbanization, and Suburbanization
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsCourse learning goals are assessed with exams, essays, written assignments, multi-media projects, and/or participation in classroom/online discussions.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 4/99; New Core 8/2015; Revised 4/2019