DXMS210 Clinical Experience in Sonography I
Department of Health Sciences: Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- I. Course Number and Title
- DXMS210 Clinical Experience in Sonography I
- II. Number of Credits
- 2 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- 240 clinical hours
- IV. Prerequisites
- DXMS100 (C or better) and DXMS101 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Background clearances are required before placement in a clinical setting. The clearances include a PA state background check, fingerprinting clearance, child abuse clearance, immunization and physical exam clearance.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students are assigned to clinical areas and attend clinical education for 16 hours per week. In the clinical setting, the students demonstrate their knowledge in ethical situations, legal issues, patient care situations, obtaining and evaluating sonography images.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- differentiate between normal and abnormal anatomy;
- demonstrate effective communication skills;
- utilize appropriate parameters for optimal images in a clinical setting;
- identify cross sectional anatomy, physiology and pathology of body areas;
- demonstrate proper patient care skills, interpersonal skills and time management skill; and
- demonstrate required sonography procedure competencies.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Clinical Practice
- Code of ethics/professional behavior
- Professional communication
- Role of healthcare team members
- Procedural Performance
- Order/requisition evaluation
- Facilities set-up
- Patient assessment
- Patient/personnel protection
- Triage and presentation of images to the Physician
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudent assessment consists of bi-weekly evaluations, semester evaluation and ultrasound competency grades.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 5/2020