COLL105 Strategic Learning Seminar
Department of Language & Literature: College Success Strategies
- I. Course Number and Title
- COLL105 Strategic Learning Seminar
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This strategic learning course provides students with a comprehensive approach to learning that integrates study techniques and self-management strategies to facilitate academic success in college.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- identify and utilize effective study skills strategies to support academic success in college; and
- explore and develop innovative mind-set strategies to enhance attitudes and behaviors such as motivation and self-regulation.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
All activities integrate skills/strategy instruction with contextualized topics and readings related to the principles of innovative mindset that are pertinent to the learning goals of this course in order to:
- explore and apply techniques for managing challenges, setting and achieving goals, and developing perseverance or grit;
- assess personal time management needs; analyze and apply various time management strategies to develop an effective approach;
- acquire learning strategies and techniques to improve proficiency in interacting with college-level texts and lecture materials;
- identify and utilize note-taking systems of textbook readings and lectures;
- introduce the memory process and Bloom's taxonomy to foster the use of rehearsal strategies and retrieval practice;
- examine and demonstrate a clear sense of one's personal role in fostering a relationship between physical health, mental health, and academic success;
- identify and apply a variety of test preparation and test-taking techniques; and
- develop critical thinking skills in order to identify, analyze, and evaluate online resources to locate valid and reliable information for research.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- complete follow-up assignments to review and apply skills;
- write reflections and reader response journal entries to demonstrate awareness and application of learning strategies and self-regulation skills;
- develop an oral or written presentation that integrates the main concepts of the course; and
- meet with instructor throughout the semester to review progress toward course learning outcomes.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Approval/Revision Date: Approved 10/2019