Writing Contests and Awards
For information and applications for any of the following awards and contests, students are directed to the Department of Language and Literature, Grupp Hall 105.
|Eligibility:||All full and part-time students in Liberal Arts/Humanities Program
Minimum of 30 completed credits in the program
Minimum GPA of 3.25
- A typed 1000-1500 word essay and two letters of recommendation from BCCC faculty (one full-time). Essays will be judged on the quality of thinking and content as well as the level of expression.
- Prize: $300
- Deadline: April 10, 2022
Information: Department of Language and Literature 215-968-8150
Please go to the Scholarships page to apply for the Lloyd E. Penland Humanitiies Scholarship: Scholarships
- Eligibility: All students of BCCC.
- A college-wide contest for the best student poetry, short story and essay. Students may enter in more than one genre.
- Prize: $50 in each genre.
- Deadline: TBA
- Information: Department of Language and Literature 968-8150
Robert Fraser Poetry Competition
- Eligibility: All Students of BCCC.
Entrants may submit three pages of poetry on any subject and in any style, typed with the author's name on the back of each page. These poems must be accompanied by a cover letter with name of author, address, phone number, and titles (or first lines) of poems. Poems will not be returned unless a stamped self-addressed envelope is included. A fifteen dollar fee is required for each entrant, in the form a check made payable to the BCCC Foundation with a notation for the Beverly Stoughton Memorial Scholarship Fund.
The competition is in honor of Robert Fraser, a man of great gifts and profound modesty, passionate convictions and deep generosity. Bob helped many students at BCCC recognize their own gifts. His own writing was marked by an unshakeable integrity, a true grace, an unflinching honesty, a revelry in the play of language , and an abiding respect for the power of words.
- Prize: $100 and invitation to read at BCCC with a visiting poet. First and second runner ups will also be invited to read.
- Deadline: March 15
- Information: David Venditto 215-968-8053
The competition is sponsored by the Tyler Literary Society and The Human Rights Club
Language & Literature Legacy Scholarship Awards
Basic Writing Legacy Scholarship: For the top student who has achieved a minimum 3.0 GPA in the previous fall semester.
Language & Literature Legacy Scholarship: For a student of distinction in Language and Literature. The student must be the first in his or her family to attend college. The scholarships will be awarded at the annual Honors Convocation
Annual Bucks County Poet Laureate Contest
- 10 original poems; no more, no fewer. Any style, form, or length.
- $500.00 Honorarium
- Deadline: September
Please visit the Poet Laureate page for additional informaiton and the entry form: Poet Laureate
Annual Bucks County High School Poet of the Year Contest
- 3 original poems; no more, no fewer. Any style, form, or length.
- $300.00 Honorarium
- Deadline: March
Please visit the High School Short Fiction Contest page for additional information and the entry form: H.S. Short Fiction Contest