Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the difference between the on campus class and the online class?

A. The only difference between the courses offered on campus vs. online is the place in which you take your course. The material presented for the course of study is the same. Many of our professors teach both the on campus and the online courses. Regardless of place, you will interface with your classmates and professors on a weekly basis--the only difference is where.


Q. How long does it take to get my certificate?

A. The certificate program is designed so that a person could complete the certificate within two years. The length of time it takes to complete the program is determined by the student and the number of courses they take each semester.


Q. In what order do I have to take the courses?

A. There are no prerequisites to take any class. However, we do recommend that students begin with History and Theory of Historic Preservation and/or History of American Architecture, as these required courses help to set the foundation for the other classes. The only exception is the Internship. The Internship cannot be taken until the required courses are completed and the student has a project that has been approved by the Program Coordinator. Many of our graduates choose to take their internship as their last class of the program.


Q. What are the Admission requirements and how much does it cost?

A. Bucks County College has a free online admission process. You fill out your application on the Bucks website. It is that easy. Once accepted, you can sign up for classes. The information is all on the Admission page of the website. In Pennsylvania, any resident from any county can register for the Bucks County resident tuition and fee rates by simply obtaining a "sharing form". Please contact the Coordinator of the Program for this form. Books and standard text can be purchased from our main campus book store or from online suppliers. Note: Placement test requirements discussed on the Admissions pages are routinely waived by the Program Coordinator for students who have completed at least two years of college.


Q. Do I have to take placement testing to enroll in the program?

If you have prior college experience, the testing will be waived upon receipt of your transcripts. You may also take classes for personal enrichment without going through placement testing.


Q. Can I transfer my classes to another institution of higher learning?

A. Bucks Preservation offers an undergraduate certificate in Historic Preservation. Should you wish to continue your education at a four-year institution, many schools allow incoming students to transfer credits. Which classes and how many credits vary by school. Courses taken through Bucks Preservation are for college credit; BCCC is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).


Q. Are jobs available for preservation graduates?

A. Yes. Bucks graduates are prepared to enter the preservation field, or go on to pursue advanced academic study. Since 1993, our certificate graduates, and hundreds of others have benefited from taking courses in the Historic Preservation Program. Graduates have found opportunities at the county, state, and federal levels in such diverse areas as historic house museums, construction, HARB (Historic Architectural Review Board) committees, conservation, and planning. Many practicing professionals pursue this Certificate as a supplementary credential. In our courses, we frequently teach architects, lawyers, engineers, artisans, conservationists, educators, activists and ordinary citizens. These people represent a new interest in the economic revitalization of towns and neighborhoods, heritage tourism, growth management and historic landscape restoration. The online Certificate Program enables individuals from across the U.S. to study and practice preservation in any local community.


Q. Are scholarships available?

A. Students may apply for several competitive scholarship awards in the spring semester of each year.


Any further questions, please contact or call (215) 968-8286.