MUSC106 History of Jazz
Department of The Arts: Music
Course Number and TitleMUSC106 History of Jazz
Number of Credits3 credits
Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester2250 minutes
Other Pertinent InformationThis course fulfills the Cultural Perspectives requirement of Category I: Essential Skills and Perspectives. (C or better)
Catalog Course DescriptionThis course surveys the development of jazz from its origins to the present time, investigates representative composers, and examines the musical characteristics, compositional practices, and instrumental/vocal techniques associated with ragtime, blues, bebop, swing, progressive, and other styles.
Required Course Content and Direction
- Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate familiarity with the historical development of jazz;
- demonstrate familiarity with the lives, works, and stylistic influences of representative jazz composers; and
- define, examine, and recognize representative jazz styles.
- Core Learning Goals
- compare, contrast, analyze, and/or defend differing world views and practices. (1, 2)
Students will be able to
Category I: Cultural Perspectives
Students will be able to
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- Examination of the development of jazz in an historical context.
- General survey of representative jazz composers in terms of their lives, compositions, and influences on relevant jazz styles and their subsequent developments.
- Study of representative jazz styles (such as ragtime, blues, bebop, swing, progressive, etc. and their associated characteristics, compositional practices, and instrumental/vocal techniques.
- Examination of the jazz traditions of the Euro-American, Afro-American, and Latin-American cultures.
- Attendance at a live jazz event or concert.
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
- Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals
Students will satisfy the Course Learning Goals by participation and discussion, and by performance on quizzes and tests.
Students will satisfy the Core Learning Goal of Cultural Perspectives by completing an analysis paper that critically examines two jazz styles from diverse cultures to be selected from the following: Euro-American, Afro-American, or Latin-American.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:A departmentally selected textbook is required for this course. (See course format.)
Teaching Methods EmployedTeaching methods employed may include, but are not limited to, specific topics, projects, assignments, approaches, time frames, A-V, etc.
Demonstration and live performance
Analysis term paper
Quizzes and exams
Review/Approval Date - 4/08