HRIM134 Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts (Experimental)
Department of Business Studies: Chef Apprenticeship
- I. Course Number and Title
- HRIM134 Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts (Experimental)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- HRIM105 or permission of the Department of Business Studies
- V. Other Pertinent Information
This is kitchen laboratory course that focuses on developing the knowledge and skills required to produce ice cream, sorbet and frozen desserts. These skills maybe utilized by the hospitality worker/manager who desires to upgrade or broaden his/her knowledge. At the same time, the nature of this course lends itself to satisfying the needs of students who wish to take the course for self-fulfillment and an advanced knowledge of frozen desserts.
Beginning Fall 2018, this number of this course is CULN134.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course covers the preparation of frozen desserts. Students will learn the techniques used in the production of ice cream, sorbet, and frozen desserts, including frozen mousses, bombes, and frozen soufflés.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- list the steps involved in creating ice cream, sorbet, and frozen desserts;
- compare and contrast churn-frozen and still-frozen desserts;
- explain the use of the various materials, equipment, and food products in the kitchen lab;
- identify and employ safe and sanitary methods of handling foods;
- handle equipment safely and efficiently in the kitchen lab from preparation through clean-up;
- produce ice cream and sorbet;
- apply the techniques involved in the preparation of ice cream and sorbet desserts, using commercial or homemade ice cream or sorbet;
- judge the quality of commercial ice creams according to established criteria;
- prepare still-frozen dessert including bombes, frozen mousses, and frozen soufflés;
- produce acceptable desserts for public consumption;
- explain and apply appropriate techniques in planning, storing, and serving frozen desserts and
- organize tools and foods and sequences of activity for maximum efficiency in production.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- discuss the methods of preparing churn-frozen and still-frozen desserts;
- produce various flavors of ice cream and sorbet;
- explore different ways of producing and presenting ice cream and sorbet desserts; and
- produce bombes, frozen mousses, frozen soufflés, and parfaits.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsAssessment will include, but not be limited to, successful production of ice cream, sorbet, churn-frozen, and still-frozen desserts.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:
- See course syllabus for textbook
- Kitchen uniform or appropriate clothing
- Full-length bib apron
- Tool box of basic tools/knives
Review/Approval Date - Unavailable; New Core 8/2015