COMP114 Technical Writing
Department of Language & Literature: Composition
- I. Course Number and Title
- COMP114 Technical Writing
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- COMP110 (C or better) or permission of the Department of Language and Literature
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course is designed for students majoring in technical, pre-engineering, and scientific fields. Assignments reflect actual technical writing tasks, with a focus on subject, purpose, and audience. The class examines traditional linear documents (instruction manuals, proposals) and those in an on-line format. Students learn to incorporate electronic formatting into technical documents.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- To know the requirements of good style and organization in technical communication.
- To produce various types of technical reports, both in document form and on line.
- To learn to incorporate graphic aids in written, oral, and on-line reports.
- To present well-organized oral reports with confidence.
- To work as a member of a writing team to produce a technical document.
- To incorporate the student's real-life experience into their technical writing assignments.
- To incorporate electronic formatting, using Microsoft Word or equivalent software, into technical documents, and to use HTML or web page software to create technical documents on-line.
- To make students aware of their audience when they write so that they can choose the material and style deliberately to meet the needs of the reader.
- To understand the principles of page design and typography to help make information more accessible, both in document form and on web pages.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
The course includes the following types of writing as applied to sequential projects:
- Process analysis
- Description of mechanism
- Progress report
- Feasibility report
- Research report
- Correspondence (various types)
- Job description k. Resumes
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:A technical writing textbook with supplements, if necessary, for on-line instruction.
Review/Approval Date -11/99; New Core 8/2015