CISC122 Computer Science II
Department of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics: Computer/Information Science
- I. Course Number and Title
- CISC122 Computer Science II
- II. Number of Credits
- 4 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- CISC115 - Java based (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students will be evaluated via test results and problem solving. Evaluation will include writing, testing, and documentation of complete programs. There will be at least 2 one-hour examinations and a proctored departmental final examination. The laboratory grade will count no more than one-third of the course grade and the final must count for between 15%-25% of the final grade.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course is a continuation of Computer Science I and emphasis is placed on structured and object-oriented programming techniques. Topics include file I/O, lists, stacks, recursion, sorting, searching, strings, and their application in problem solving.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- solve problems, using complex data structures; and
- solve complex problems, using top-down design and object-oriented design.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Programming, Style, Design, Methodology
- Linear Data Structures
- Linked lists
- Writing static methods, as well as class methods
- Recursive methods
- Classes of algorithms
- Direct access
- Sorting - comparing various methods
- Manipulation of Data Structures
- File and GUI I/O with Exception Handling
- Object-Oriented Design and Development of Classes
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsCourse-specific learning goals will be evaluated via (written) test results and problem solving, including writing, testing, and documentation of complete programs, and a departmental final exam.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Departmentally-selected textbook. Details provided by the instructor of each course section. See course sylabus.
Review/Approval Date - 4/06; Revised 6/09; New Core 8/2015