PSYC190 Educational Psychology
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Psychology
- I. Course Number and Title
- PSYC190 Educational Psychology
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- PSYC110 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
Field experience required.
This course meets the General Education requirement for Critical Thinking.
This course meets the General Education requirement for Diversity
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course surveys the nature of the learning process and application of the principles of psychology to the problems of learning and teaching. Individual differences, special problems of learning, and evaluation techniques are among the topics covered. Field experiences are provided to acquaint students with an authentic teaching-learning environment.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- apply theories of learning and development to classroom environments [Critical Thinking];
- describe theories of motivation and apply them to the motivation of students;
- use descriptive research methods to describe children and classrooms; and
- identify prejudice, stereotypes, and misuses of power that affect the lives of women and/or minorities in educational settings [Diversity].
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
The following topics are presented:
- teachers, teaching, and educational psychology
- cognitive, personal, social, emotional, and language development
- behavioral, cognitive, social, social cognitive, and constructivist views of learning
- motivation, teaching, and learning
- culture and community
- learner differences
- creating learning environments
- teaching for learning
- standardized testing
- classroom assessment and grading
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsExams, quizzes, classroom exercises, class or online participation, and/or projects as specified in the individual instructor's course format will be utilized.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Students use educational resources as specified in the individual instructor's syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 12/98; Core Goals/Objectives added 5/03; Revised 4/2010; New Core 8/2015