NURS202 Nursing IV
Department of Health Sciences: Nursing
- I. Course Number and Title
- NURS202 Nursing IV
- II. Number of Credits
- 9 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- 3750 classroom instructional minutes, 9000 clinical instructional minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- NURS210, SOCI110, PSYC110, COMM110, and Cultural Perspective or
- COMM110 and Cultural Perspective
- V. Other Pertinent Information
Student must have current certification in CPR: Health Care Provider.
Fees: See Nursing/Medical Assistant Fees table for current fees
- Nursing Fee
- Malpractice Insurance
- Nursing Laboratory Fee
- Standardized Testing Fee
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Nursing IV continues with the nursing care that assists individuals to respond to alterations in every functional health pattern and ineffective responses to each of those alterations, emphasizing the cognitive perceptual health pattern. Students care for patients and use current technology to analyze and integrate data.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
The graduate will practice the three associate degree roles, in a safe, competent, and caring manner. Critical thinking will be used to apply the theoretical constructs from the cognitive, affective. and psychomotor domains to:
- communicate in a professional manner that acknowledges and preserves the individual's dignity and worth, while recognizing cultural differences;
- apply the nursing process to diagnose and treat individual and family responses to alterations in their functional health patterns;
- collaborate with the health care team to manage groups of patients with predictable outcomes while delegating duties to other health care providers;
- demonstrate awareness of today's health care delivery system and its impact on future health, act according to, and within the legal and ethical standards set forth by the Pennsylvania Nurse Practice Act, the College, the Nursing Program, the legal system at large, the affiliating agencies and their accreditation bodies, and the nursing profession.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesRefer to Nursing Curriculum Course Format for NURS202: Nursing IV, The Art and Science of Caring.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Current textbooks are listed on the student reference list in the course syllabus. All listed texts are on reserve in the library. Interactive videos are in the college library. Videocassettes are available for viewing in the college laboratory.
Review/Approval Date - 3/99; New Core 8/2015