MEDA289 Medical Transcription: Surgery
Department of Professional Studies: Allied Health & Nursing: Medical Assisting
- I. Course Number and Title
- MEDA289 Medical Transcription: Surgery Course No Longer Offered
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- MEDA275 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This advanced-level course will provide skills needed to accurately transcribe physician-dictated reports for surgical transcription practices from all major body systems and medical specialties. Emphasis is on developing accuracy, speed, and medical knowledge for transcribing chart notes, history and physical examination reports, consultations, operative reports, and discharge summaries.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- prepare and transcribe a variety of operative reports using MS Word software or a web-based medical transcription program;
- apply proper medical terminology while transcribing a variety of operative reports; and
- prepare and edit the transcript to correct obvious grammatical and punctuation errors.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- cardiovascular/thoracic surgery transcription
- gastrointestinal surgery transcription
- genitourinary surgery transcription
- head and neck surgery transcription
- neurosurgery transcription
- OB/GYN surgery transcription
- orthopedic surgery transcription
- plastic surgery transcription
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals will be based on quizzes, performance-based transcription tests, and weekly performance based transcription assignments.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 1/04; Revised 4/05; Revised 12/2009; New Core 8/2015