MEDA275 Medical Transcription I
Department of Health Sciences: Medical Assisting
- I. Course Number and Title
- MEDA275 Medical Transcription I Course No Longer Offered
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- MEDA140 and MEDA120 (C or better) or BIOL115 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- The student will develop transcription skills to accurately transcribe medical papers and reports, such as: history and physicals, consultation reports, operative reports, discharge summaries, x-ray reports, pathology reports, autopsy reports, and letters.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate competency in the transcription of medical reports and papers while using a specialized transcription software;
- reproduce dictated medical reports with a high degree of speed and accuracy while performing within legal and ethical standards; and
- demonstrate an understanding of the various medical reference resources that can be used to verify terminology, abbreviations, symbols, medications, and laboratory tests.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- dermatology/plastics transcription
- gastrointestinal transcription
- cardiopulmonary transcription
- HEENT/pediatrics transcription
- genitourinary transcription
- OB/GYN transcription
- orthopedic transcription
- neuropsychiatric transcription
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals will be based on classroom discussions, performance-based transcription tests, quizzes, and weekly transcription assignments.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 12/03; Revised 4/05; Revised 12/2009; New Core 8/2015