MEDA220 Medical Assistant Externship
Department of Professional Studies: Allied Health & Nursing: Medical Assisting
- I. Course Number and Title
- MEDA220 Medical Assistant Externship
- II. Number of Credits
- 4 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- Completion of 160 Externship hours
- IV. Prerequisites
- Completion of all courses in the medical assisting program with a grade of C or better and permission of the Department of Professional Studies: Allied Health & Nursing.
- V. Other Pertinent Information
Students must meet with an Office Administration faculty advisor. Site placement could be based on CGPA. Prior to Externship placement, students must submit:
- A "Request for Criminal Record Check"
- Child Abuse Clearance Form
- Certification of Health Status
- Certification in CPR: Health Care Provider
- Verification of Liability Insurance
- Application for BCCC Student I.D. Badge
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- The course prepares students to work in a medical office assisting physicians and office personnel by performing assigned duties in both administrative and clinical procedures. The work experience is supported by instructor site visits and classroom seminars.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- practice varied clinical duties, including taking vital signs, maintaining examination and treatment areas, interviewing and taking patient histories, preparing patients for procedure, assisting physicians with examinations and treatments, collecting and processing specimens, performing routine diagnostic tests, administering medications, and performing venipunctures;
- practice varied administrative duties, including scheduling and canceling patient appointments, completing health insurance forms, recording charges, filing, transcription, and coding; and
- demonstrate a professional manner and image.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesPrevious learned competencies in MEDA120, MEDA200, MEDA201, MEDA203 MEDA205, MEDA215, MEDA216, MEDA275, and MEDA297 will be performed while working in a medical facility assisting physicians and office personnel.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals will be based on employer evaluations and written assignments.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 2/99; Revised 4/05; Revised 12/2009; Revised 12/2014; New Core 8/2015