LAWS225 Legal Research and Writing II
Department of Business Studies: Paralegal/Law
- I. Course Number and Title
- LAWS225 Legal Research and Writing II
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- LAWS100 (C or better) AND LAWS220 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- This course utilizes a learning management space to supplement course materials.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course emphasizes the systematic study of electronic legal research and critical analysis of legal issues, location, and evaluation of appropriate legal authority and application of such authority to the resolution of hypothetical factual situations. Students learn how to prepare persuasive presentations in acceptable legal format.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning GoalsStudents will:
- Assess relevant sources of legal authority;
- Demonstrate an understanding of advanced legal citations;
- Compose advanced and persuasive legal memoranda;
- Use and apply knowledge of online sources of legal research; and
- Understand and discuss case law and its applications to various fact patterns.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesThe following topics are presented:
- Legal research tools
- Legal citation
- Appropriate sources of legal authority
- Legal writing
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsExams,quizzes, classroom exercises, class or online participation, and/or projects as specified by the area faculty and described in the individual instructor's course syllabus are utilized.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 3/04; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/2015