EDUC144 Infants and Toddlers
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Social & Behavioral Science Department Archive
- I. Course Number and Title
- EDUC144 Infants and Toddlers Course No Longer Offered
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course will explore the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development of infants and toddlers. An emphasis will be placed on developmentally appropriate educational practice for this age group. Students will design learning experiences and create learning environments to facilitate development.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- To provide students with an overview of the language development of infants and toddlers.
- To provide students with an understanding of the social and emotional development of infants and toddlers.
- To be able to describe the motor development of infants and toddlers.
- To be able to understand and utilize theories of cognitive development and how they are applied to infants and toddlers.
- To be able to find and use educational information sources pertaining to infants and toddlers.
- To be able to develop and implement developmentally appropriate lesson plans for this age group.
- To be able to choose appropriate educational materials for this age group.
- To be able to organize a classroom environment to enhance the development of infants and toddlers.
- To be able to systematically observe the behavior of infants and toddlers and draw conclusions from the observations.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- A historical perspective on daycare for infants and toddlers
- Development of infants and toddlers
- Motor development
- Cognitive development
- Social/Emotional development
- Language development
- Lesson plan development
- General educational objectives
- Behavioral objectives
- Unit plans
- Positive guidance and redirection
- Family life and concerns
- Cooperating with parents
- Effective communication with parents
- Setting up the physical environment
- Safety issues
- Frequently encountered problems
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Departmentally-selected textbook. Articles from education journals. Details provided by the instructor of each course section. See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 4/99; New Core 8/2015