Transferring to Bucks

How are you exempted from placement testing?

For purposes of placement testing and/or prerequisite course waivers, an unofficial copy of your transcript from another college or university is acceptable. Placement testing waivers are applied upon receipt of all transcripts after review of any equivalent coursework; however, a request must be made for specific course prerequisite waivers.  Please note that neither a grade report nor degree audit are acceptable forms of documentation for testing waivers.  Waivers may be requested by electronic submission or via email - either your Bucks mail or that of your primary educational institution - sent to

Waivers are applied within two(2) business days; however, during Walk-In Registration periods, students are advised to bring their transcripts and waiver requests directly to registration at any campus location.

Who can transfer credits?

If you attended another college or university within the United States, you may have taken courses equivalent to those required for your Bucks program of study.

If you attended a college or university outside the United States, your transcript must first be evaluated by an outside agency before review at Bucks. Please see the list of approved evaluating agencies.

If you attended a post-secondary institution which does not provide letter-graded courses with resultant GPA, you may consider Prior Learning Assessment in order to determine any comparable education received there.

If you earned educational credentials via military service and coursework, please view our Veteran's page for Prior Learning Assessment.

If you took Advanced Placement exams, you may be eligible for college credit

What documentation is required in order to receive transfer credits?

An official copy of your transcript, along with a Bucks Evaluation Request, is necessary. An evaluation request is not necessary if the student completes the required information on the application for admission.  An official copy of a transcript is one which is received in a sealed envelope from the issuing college/university and stamped externally by that institution's Registrar. In addition, we accept emailed transcripts as official when done so by the sending institution. Direct those emails to

When should I do this?

A student number is created upon application to Bucks. Please have your transcript sent AFTER applying; otherwise, we have no way to identify your student record. Be sure to indicate any other last name when applying, if your transcript contains a name different from your present surname.

Where do I send documents?

Mail, hand-deliver, or email to:

Bucks County Community College
Office of Admissions/Linksz Pavilion
275 Swamp Road
Newtown, PA 18940

Why should I do this?

If you are planning to complete your degree/certificate at Bucks, transfer credits may fulfill certain requirements, with the exception of Nursing majors. For more information on Nursing and the impact of transfer credits, please see #12 here. Transcripts for GUEST students are not evaluated, since such students are matriculated at another institution.

How does the process work?

Upon receipt of your transcript, testing waivers are assigned, as appropriate, in Reading, Writing, and Math. A postcard will be sent to you as notification of this.

The Office of Admissions is responsible for consideration of incoming transfer credits.  Evaluations typically take two (2) to four (4) weeks to complete, depending on volume. 

A maximum of 30 credits for degree programs, or half of the credits required for a given certificate, can be transferred in if those courses/credits:

  • are considered equivalent to Bucks courses
  • are required by your program of study/major
  • and were completed with a grade of C or better (C- is not transferable).

Foreign credentials require additional review by the area Academic Dean for your major. An email of explanation for additional action is mailed after evaluation.

A second postcard will be mailed after credits have been posted to your Bucks student record. If you change your major, a "reevaluation" must be requested using the online submission indicated above. 

Please direct any questions or concerns to:  Any student who wishes to challenge a course equivalency that has not been granted should supply a copy of that course's syllabus for potential additional review by the Academic Dean for his/her program of study and for the course discipline.

For specific course equivalency information, please visit either the Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Center or CollegeTransfer.Net.  A list of our general policies for incoming transfer credit, as detailed above, can be found here.

Thank you for choosing Bucks to further your education!