POLI101 Political Science Internship
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Political Science
- I. Course Number and Title
- POLI101 Political Science Internship
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester
- 2250 minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- A hands-on opportunity to work in a legislative office thereby augmenting the political science classroom learning experience. Interaction with constituents and those in public office will heighten student understanding of the political process and the relationship of citizen and government.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing about politics.
- Ability to read critically about politics at a reasonably high level.
- Ability to cope with customary office duties.
- An understanding of the legislator�s job in the home district.
- An understanding of the multiple needs of citizens.
- An understanding of the legislative-administrative nexus.
- Achievement of a comfort level in the use of personal computers.
- A personal commitment to informed political participation at least at the level of regular voting.
- Recognition and acceptance of the complexities and demands of American politics at the state and local level.
- Recognition of societal need for constituent service performed by elected officials and their staffs.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:There are no course topics as such in this internship program. The student intern works under the supervision of the legislator and his permanent office administrator.
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:Available upon request from the Social and Behavioral Science Department
- VIII. Teaching Methods Employed
- Student interns maintain daily journals noting their experience and reflecting upon it. These are then evaluated by the instructor.
Review/Approval Date - 10/98