Writing Tutoring Tips
Tutoring Tips: Helpful Strategies to Make the Most of your Writing Session
The Center’s Mission
The Academic Success Center is committed to helping students develop the skills and confidence needed to succeed in their coursework and in their academic, professional, and personal pursuits.
Tips for Success
- Schedule your appointments early. This will allow more time for you to make any necessary revisions before the assignment is due. Please bring your Student I.D. and sign in and out for your session. Please bring a photo I.D. if you’d like to check out a laptop.
- Consider your goal for the session and come prepared with questions and all the necessary materials – especially the assignment description.
- The tutor will actively engage you in the session by asking you questions about your material, so please be prepared for a collaborative session.
- The Academic Success Center can help you with any stage of the writing process. You can come in for help with brainstorming, outlining, revising, and more!
- While we cannot help with any specific in-class writing assignments, we can review any concept, rhetorical mode, and/or grammar rule with which you may be struggling.
- Share with your tutor any preferred way of learning (i.e. visual, auditory, etc.) that you may have.
- For real-time online sessions, it may be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the software before your actual session. Review the information on the website or set up a time to practice with a tutor.
- For face-to-face sessions, feel free to remain in the Academic Success Center after your appointment to do your homework and/or utilize any of our resources. Please make sure, however, that you sign out immediately after your session to ensure that an accurate session report is generated for your professor.
- Ask the tutor or one of the staff members for assistance if needed.
Good luck with your courses!