MUSG166 Group Instruction in Piano, Level II (formerly MUSA166)
The Arts Department: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSG166 Group Instruction in Piano, Level II (formerly MUSA166) Course No Longer Offered
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- MUSG165 (C or better) or Permission of the Arts Department
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students must currently be enrolled as a Music Major (curriculum code 1019). Students must have access to an acoustic piano or digital keyboard with weighted action for practice purposes. Students are responsible for supplying their own headphones for use in this lab-based course. Practice facilities with appropriate instruments are available at the college.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course, which is a continuation of MUSG165, offers group instruction in piano and develops concepts of music reading. Students practice proper fingering and hand position in the contexts of sight-reading, performance of intermediate repertoire, and execution of scales and simple chord progressions.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- perform sight-reading tasks using proper fingering and hand position;
- perform intermendiate repertoire using proper fingering and hand position; and
- execute major and minor scales and simple major and minor chord progressions using proper fingering and hand position.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- development of music reading skills
- execution of major and minor scales and chord progressions using proper fingering
- performance of sight-reading exercises
- performance of assigned repertoire
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents are assessed on the basis of active participation and the demonstration of proper hand position and fingering in the contexts of the execution of major and minor scales and chord progressions, sight-reading tasks, and performance of assigned repertoire.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Instructor-selected musical repertoire and technical studies. See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 1/96; Revised 3/2010; New Core 8/2015