MUSE121 Bucks County Community College Symphony (formerly MUSA121)
The Arts Department: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSE121 Bucks County Community College Symphony (formerly MUSA121)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Entrance is by audition only. Entrance is limited to ten (10) students.
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students are expected to practice their parts at home. Total rehearsal time for this course is 150 minutes/ week.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- The Bucks County Community College Symphony is an instrumental ensemble consisting of students, community members, professional musicians, and, by special arrangement, the Newtown Chamber Orchestra. It prepares stylistically diverse repertoire for public performance.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
Students will be able to:
- perform appropriate musical repertoire competently in an orchestral environment.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- practice appropriate musical responses to conducting gestures
- examine critically all musical repertoire that is to be performed
- prepare, rehearse, and subsequently perform all musical repertoire with attention to accurate pitch, rhythm, dynamics, and stylistic considerations
- Aaply stylistically accurate phrasing, balance, blend, articulation, instrumental techniques, etc., in the preparation, rehearsal, and performance of all musical repertoire
- Perform selected musical repertoire in the venue of one or more public concerts
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsCourse-specific content will be assessed continually by the conductor via standard rehearsal techniques, as the assigned musical repertoire is prepared to a mastery level compatible with public performance. Mandatory student performance in the culminating concert(s) is the musical equivalent of a final comprehensive examination and shall be weighted as such in all instructor-generated grading schemes.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Musical scores for all repertoire under study will be provided at no additional charge to students. (See course syllabus.)
Review/Approval Date - 4/08; New Core 8/2015