COLL091 AACHIEVE! The College Student (Experimental)
Department of Learning Resources: College Success Strategies
- I. Course Number and Title
- COLL091 AACHIEVE! The College Student (Experimental)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- COLL090 and COLL095 or
- COLL090 and COLL095
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Entry into this course is restricted to students enrolled in the AACHIEVE! Program at Bucks County Community College.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course provides practical applications of the student role, academic expectations, and social expectations within the college classroom. The student develops the ability to recognize college resources available to support success in their personal college experience. Students will develop and practice self-advocacy skills, which will lead to self-determination.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of higher education student perspectives of college classroom behavior, the need for social skills through communication and participation in the college community, and expected adult behaviors in the college and employment settings by implementing the basic information and skills learned in COLL090 and put them into a practical face-to-face setting;
- Demonstrate an understanding of personal responsibilities in the home and college academic environment, including how to manage time and stress in addition to preparing for activities, life, academic and career goals by participating in various events and activities in the face-to-face setting and building on the skills developed in COLL090.
- Demonstrate a continued understanding of ASD from a personal, neuro-a-typical perspective and the perception of ASD that facilitates their integration into the community.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Learning about the transition from community college to a four-year college/university for students with ASD, how to organize and plan for academic life and understanding the self as an adult college student
- Understanding and communicating about ASD as an adult in the academic and work environment
- Understanding how to communicate effectively in the academic setting with staff, faculty, and peers
- Continuation of skill development to organize and develop routines outside of the classroom
- Continuation of skill development to communicate outside of the classroom and in personal settings
- Continuation of skill development and understanding of individual and self-awareness
- Continuation of skill development of managing stress and coping mechanisms for multiple settings
- Continuation of skill development in general social skills
- Continuation of skill development to work collaboratively with faculty, staff and peers
- Continuation of skill development in social skills in a campus setting
- Continuation of skill development in how to change long-term goals in the academic and professional settings
- Continuation of skill development in building personal relationships
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
Participation in class activities
Participation in outside class activities
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
October 30, 2018; Approved 01/03/2019